alimex announce launch of 7000 series aluminium
An exciting new high strength 7000 series aluminum alloy from alimex is now available. ACP7 is produced in either:
Surface machined precision plates - ACP7
Sawn finish plates or blocks - ACP7R
Why 7000 Series?
This new product is beneficial for applications that demand high mechanical properties combined with an excellent machinability and material stability. ACP7 typifies our reputation of world-class quality gained over the last 40 years as a global leader in the supply of cast aluminum block and plate.
ACP7 is ideal as a high strength alloy for the mould & die industry as the higher hardness properties of this alloy, which are typically around 120HB, make a much better polishing quality material available to mould makers when needed. This hardness is also higher than other cast aluminum alloys used such as those in the 5000 series alloy range with a strength of around 70HB, and it significantly exceeds the currently existing 2618 type alloys which have a hardness in the range of 81HB to 85HB.
This combined with the superior mechanical strength properties described below will also allow mold makers to design moulds in a cost effective high strength cast plate, making it possible to produce higher quantities of parts from each mould.
The ACP7 alloy has been designed by the alimex R&D team to combine these advantages into a material that has been fully stress relieved, offering good machinability. This is combined with the low porosity and stability that clients have come to expect from alimex products.
ACP7 has the following advantages;
- Higher hardness than other cast plate alloys with the possibility of a better polished finish for your mould.
- Higher mechanical properties than 2618 type alloys such as ultimate tensile strength and yield strength.
- A competitive 7000 series alloy that may substitute many rolled alloy applications for mould & die.
- This material can be quickly sawn to required sizes and supplied on short lead-times.
- Very good machinability and flatness as the material is fully stress relieved.
- This material can also be welded successfully – UK welding guidelines available upon request.
- Available in thicknesses up to 600mm